50 Shades of Grey Part 2

Okay, so I finished it. It took longer than I thought and I'm still not sure how to feel about this book.  I've read agent posts about how they need manuscripts to be pristine, grammar error free, and ready to publish and then a series such as the 50 Shades comes along and is a hit--although poorly written.  How do they justify some of their decisions and now the quality of what is sent to them is going low.

I wondered as I read the book, am I looking at this as a writer or reader? Am I being fair? A friend borrowed the book and I made sure I didn't share my opinion.  We'll talk once she's read the book.

But here are some of my problems with the book:

Spoiler Alert! If you haven't read them, be forewarned.  Some of my biggest problems with the book was the repetitive phrasing--Okay, we get it, Christian Grey is handsome, good looking.  Don't tell us, show us.  I want details, not just gray eyes and coppery hair.  What else? Also, she is constantly gasping, blushing, chewing on that damn lip.  I just didn't care after a while.

There was also some very English phrasing. Americans do not say "keen", such as I'm not "keen" on coffee.  We just don't.  Also, American men do not say it is a "lovely" day. Not realistic.  I know the author is English, but shouldn't this have been caught and edited? Again, not believable.

When Ana and Christian first hook up, I do not believe the attraction on his side.  After a while I do, but the obsessive part just wasn't real for me until after Ana graduated.  I almost put the book down here to forever live at the bottom of my "to be read" pile.

Was the book hot? Yes.  Was it erotic? Yes. But after a while, come on--*#)$-ing her hard was just repetitive.  

Have you read the 50 Shades books? Let me know what you think.  I'm not trying to be overly harsh.  I'm just thinking out loud and hey--it's my blog, so I can do that. 

That's it according to Maddy~

Tootles~
Madelyn

No comments

Thank you for commenting! Please consider following my blog.